Join us for the Bath Dragon Boat Race on 9 September
After a hugely successful Dragon Boat event last year - the Bath Dragon Boat Challenge is back bigger and even better for 2018!
Team SRA are boldly challenged to take up their paddles and race against the other dragons in the Bath dragon boat race across 200m course on 9 September!
- No experience!
- A sense of humour - this event is brilliant fun!
- The ability to eat lots of pizza (or similar!)
- Someone to keep an eagle eye on David, who tried to tip the boat last year!
- A kind heart and lots of friends - lots of fundraising required!
- In the crew: we need a minimum of 8 people to participate and ideally 12+ would be better to allow for changes in the team over the 3 heats.
- As a spectator: come and enjoy the atmosphere and cheer the team on.
- Fundraising: the event supports two local charities: Designability and The Mountain Way. SRA have paid the entry donation of £500. On top of this we need to raise as much money as possible with an additional £600 set as a minimum target by the organisers. Karen will set up a Just Giving page to help with our fundraising efforts.
Crew members - please sign-up
- You will receive an email shortly with more details. Please vote YES or NO to joining as a crew member.
Team SRA boldly took their paddles and raced against the other dragons in the Bath dragon boat race on September 10th. There were 14 teams taking part with a variety of interesting looking hats adorned by many.
We paddled furiously over three heats where the team were seriously focused as we raced over the 150 meter course. Emily and Emma set the pace from the front of the boat whilst the drummer hung on for dear life, balancing precariously on a small moving seat at the front of the boat! As we went over the finish line to the sound of a horn, so the fun and frolics began with a near capsize on heat three (thanks David!)
In between the heats we nipped off for some well deserved refreshments and had a nice little jog back to the dragon boat as a warm up.....
As the heats came to a finish so we all waited with baited breath to see if we had made it through to the semi finals! We missed out by a matter of seconds, most likely due to the size of our mexican sombreros', which weren't terribly aero-dynamic.
A big heart thank you to everybody that took part and helped raised money for Bath based charity Designability and their Whizzybug Loan Scheme. The dragon boaters have managed to raise over £20,000 to help give children under 5 years of age access to a fun and innovative wheelchair.
Well it’s not long to go now until the SRA crew will be battling it out in the Bath Dragon Boat Race!
Thank you to everybody that is racing on Sunday and to those who have sponsored us so far on our JustGiving page
Come and cheer us on if you are free!
Location: The Scoop, Victoria Bridge Road, Bath, BA2 3FL. The racing will take place alongside the Crest Nicholson Riverside Housing development, which is behind Sainsbury Petrol Station. The crew will be on site at 10.30 am on Sunday 10th September.
SRA race timings
First round: 11.45 (heat 6) Lane 2
Second round: 13.45 (heat 14) Lane 1
Third round: 15.15 (heat 20) Lane 2
If we make it to the finals, depending where we come we will need to do one of the following:
Semi 1: 15.45 Semi 2: 16.00
Final: 16.15 Presentation of medals and trophy: 16.20
There is one week to go until the The Bath Dragon Boat Race! We have raised 5% of our target for Designability so far to help support the Wizzybug Loan Scheme. There's still some time to hit that target.
Please give to this worthy cause by donating via our Just Giving page.
If you haven't yet voted and would like to be on the crew, please let Karen know by end of day.
With many thanks for your support!